[Gelesen] Jojo Moyes - Me Before You


Hej!


Okay, I know that it's rather uncommon for me to blog about a book. Actually I have Goodreads for all my books (Let me tell you: I love reading. I love to vanish in a new world and forget about everything else.). If you want to be friends with me there: fell free to do so, I will accept the request! But I thought that it will be a good idea to share a review about this book because ... well, it's emotional. It's very rare that I cry during reading. It's even rarer to laugh while crying. "Me Before You" is touching. (I noticed, while crying, that my so-called 'water-proof' mascara isn't water-proof at all.)

Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick.

What Lou doesn’t know is she’s about to lose her job or that knowing what’s coming is what keeps her sane.

Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he’s going to put a stop to that.

What Will doesn’t know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they’re going to change the other for all time.


My advice is: get some hankerchiefs and a weekend without any plans. And do not read the book in a public space at all because sobbing in a train/tube/bus/... will only upsetting the people around you and the chance is quite low that they'll understand why. Second advice: make sure you'll get some breaks to think about it and to calm down. 

Oh and buy the paperback even if you prefer a Kindle. Just buy the book in case you want to mark your favourite quotes (Marking a quote in the Kindle version isn't very pleasing at all.). I did it. Not with a marker but with tiny papers. I thought about quoting some of it but I decided against it because you have to read the book on your own. 

The only phrase that I will quote is:

Live boldy.

Will
used to live boldy. He was an attractive man in his mid 30's with a job that granted him a lot of money, a hot girlfriend, an amazing life in London and some quite interesting hobbies.

Until his accident.

While Louisa hasn't anything in common with him. She was a normal girl with a normal job, with a normal boyfriend, living a normal life.

Until she lost her job.


Two years about Will's accident they crossed paths because she become his carer for the next six months. They have to spend time together whether they like it or ot. Actually: they don't like it at all at the beginning, they even hate each other, but sometimes life puts you on a place for a reason and you open your mind and start seeing things that you didn't even see before. Even if it means that pushing your limits and walking outside your comfort zone is not that bad.


To be honest: as much as I like chick lit sometimes, I grow tired of reading romance where hot people fall in love with each other - just after seeing each other for the first time. That isn't real. Love at first sight? Yes, but not feeling an instant electricity.

Real love takes time. That's why I love "Me Before You" so much. Lou and Will didn't like each other at the beginning but they got to know each other and they fell in love. And that was beautiful to read because it was real love. Lou would have done everything for him, in fact she did, while he proved his love for her as well. 

There is nothing about this book I can complain about. It's beautiful written, it's showing a reality that's rare to find nowadays in books, and I understood every single character + their POVs (even Will's father). As much as I loved to read Will's POV at least once: the epilogue covered my wish in that department somehow, too.


Two of my favourite scenes: Lou's birthday (although Patrick was a pain in the ass) and Alicia's wedding.


Okay, I will quote one more piece because it is too beautiful for not sharing it with you:
“Hey Clark', he said. 'Tell me something good'. I stared out of the window at the bright-blue Swiss sky and I told him a story of two people. Two people who shouldn't have met, and who didn't like each other much when they did, but who found they were the only two people in the world who could possibly have understood each other. I drew a world for him, a world in which he was still somehow the person he had wanted to be. I drew the world he had created for me, full of wonder and possibility.”

To sum up the book: it isn't a love story. It's a story about life and death. It's a story about friendship and love. It's a story about patience and understanding. 


Keine Kommentare